If you or someone in your household is a smoker then chances are you are already well aware of just how hard, if not impossible, it is trying to get rid of the stench of smoke from your home.
If you’ve tried just about everything and so far nothing’s worked then perhaps it’s time to turn your attention to the best air purifier for cigarette smoke removal, smokers, and weed smokers.
Apart from the offensive smell of smoke, these air purifiers can alleviate; having air purifiers in your home can have huge health benefits to you and everyone in your family.
|Product||Ideal For||Room Coverage||Price|
|GermGuardian AC4825||Good Budget Option||Medium Size|
| Alen BreatheSmart Air Purifier with|
|High end option||1100 sq. ft||$$$$|
| Winix 5500-2 |
|Good Budget Option||360 sq. ft||$|
| Rabbit Air MinusA2|
|High end option||700 sq. ft||$$$$|
| Honeywell 50250-S|
True HEPA Air Purifier
|Medium Price Option||390 sq. ft||$$|
That’s a crazy number!
Limiting your tobacco consumption to smoking outdoors is a great way of reducing this health risk, however, if you want to completely eliminate the odors and toxins lingering in your home, a home air purifier for smoke might be the best way to go.
The ideal air purifier should always include a genuine HEPA filter to remove miniscule smoke particles from the air.
Most importantly, it should have an activated carbon filter to remove smoke particles that are too small for the HEPA filter to absorb as well as the strong smell one can expect from smoking.
With all of this in mind here are our top 5 air purifiers to remove tobacco smoke, weed and cigar smoke and the ultimate buyers guide to help you choose the right one.
GermGuardian AC4825 3 in 1 air cleaning system: Good Budget Air purifier for smoke odor
- Filters: Pre filter, True HEPA filter, Carbon filter
- Range: medium sized room
- Dimensions: 5.5 x 9 x 21.5 in
- Filter Life: Pre-filter and Carbon filter – Washable / True HEPA filter – 3 to 6 months
- Cost of Filter: $34.99
- UV-C sanitizer and Titanium Dioxide odor reduction
- Easy to use dial control
- Warranty: 3 years
This affordable and effective home air purifier for smoke has a 3-way filtration system with two of those layers being completely dedicated to removing smoke and keeping your home smelling fresh.
The easy to set up unit has both a carbon filter and additional titanium dioxide technology which removes any remaining odors that have escaped the carbon filter.
This double action feature for odor removal can help if your habits involve stronger smelling weed or cigars which tend to leave a long lasting smell.
The unit also boasts a True HEPA filter and UV-C light sanitation which help eliminate other air pollutants that pose a risk to your health bar smoke, such as viruses, bacteria, and allergens.
This is great if you or someone in your family tends to get sick often or suffers from asthma or allergies.
The GermGuardian AC4825 3 in 1 air purifier has a CADR rating of 100+ and is suitable for a small to medium sized room.
The living room is a common place for smokers light up a cigarette and as they are usually on the larger side, a product with a higher coverage may be a better option for you.
- Uses UV-C light technology, which is also commonly used in hospitals to sanitize
- Energy Star certified
- Two filtration mechanisms in place to remove odor
- Slim and sleek design
- Great Budget Buy
- Quite loud on higher settings
- Some users have had issues with complained of its circuit cutting and a burning plastic smell
- Not suitable for large rooms
Alen BreatheSmart Air Purifier with HEPA-freshplus filter: Great Smoke Filter System
- Filters: Pre-filter, HEPA freshplus filter
- Range:1,100 sq. ft
- Dimensions: 26.75 x 17.75 x 10 in
- Filter Life: 9 to 9 months
- Cost of Filters: Pre-filter – washable / HEPA filter – $89
- 15 customizable designer front panels
- Air quality sensors and auto mode
- Warranty: Lifetime
- 4 customized filters to choose from
This makes this premium large room air purifier for smoke a good choice if you are an indoor smoker or live in an area prone to wildfires.
This device would have been very useful to have while I was growing up because I used to spend my summers at my grandparents’ house who were both heavy smokers.
Needless to say, I’d come home smelling like a chimney by the end of every summer and this is something that could have been avoided if I’d know about this product at the time.
To further boost this air purifiers effectiveness the Alen BreatheSmart also has a CADR rating of 300. This means the cigarette smoke eliminator can filter the air not just thoroughly but swiftly.
This is a great feature as smoke will have less time to spread to other rooms in your home and stick to furniture which is what causes that lingering smoke smell.
The exceptional after sales service you get with this pricey product is what makes it worth every penny in my opinion. The Alen BreatheSmart Air Purifier comes with a lifetime warranty, an Allergy Relief Guaranty and lifelong support.
As things can often go south with electronic devices years down the line it is great for users to know that if something should happen to their unit at any point the manufacturers, Alen, will replace it at no additional costs.
As it is a premium product you can also expect a premium look with this device. The air purifier is slim and sleek in design and comes with 15 different customized front panels to choose from.
The panels range from seafoam green to natural maple so this product is sure to have a design that will fit right in with your home decor.
- Great for large rooms
- Lifetime warranty, support, and a 60-day Allergy Relief Guarantee
- Two filtration mechanisms in place to remove odor
- Customized HEPA filter and ionizer do a great job at eliminating smoke and odors
- Very stylish and customizable front panels
- Energy star certified
- CADR rating of 300
- Expensive unit
- Replacement filters are expensive and need to be replaced often
Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier: Budget option cigarette smoke eliminator
- Filters: Pre-filter, True HEPA filter, (AOC) activated carbon filter
- Range: 360 sq. ft
- Dimensions:15 x 8.2 x 23.6 in
- Filter Life: 12 months
- Cost of Filters: $79.99 filter pack
- Remote control
- PlasmaWave technology
- Warranty: 2 year
- Smart sensors and auto model
The Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier has both an advanced odor control activated carbon filter and PlasmaWave technology to effectively remove odor, smoke, and VOCs from the air.
This double filtration feature might be great if someone in your household smokes cigarettes or more offensive smelling cigars and even weed.
This feature works very well with the units air quality smart sensor which detects VOCs, toxins, smoke, and odor in the air surrounding it. Using this sensor the device immediately kicks into action when it’s set on auto mode.
I’m very fond of this feature as I myself don’t smoke but have a family member who does and although he doesn’t smoke indoors the smell of smoke always follows him into the house.
Having a unit that detects whenever he walks in and works to remove the smell of smoke instantly, makes me breathe easy.
This sturdy and durable device also features a user-friendly control panel, with a timer setting sleep mode, 4 manual fan speed settings and an air quality indicator which can all be controlled from the comforts of your couch with its included remote control.
- AOC carbon filter is washable to extend the life and effectiveness of the filter
- PlasmaWave technology provides double protection against smoke odors and toxins
- Energy Star certified and AHAM verified
- Ultra-quiet operation
- Filters cannot be bought separately
- Some users have said older versions of this model are more effective
- Some users have complained of the sensor not being sensitive enough
Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA 700A
- Filters: Pre-filter, medium filter, BioGS HEPA filter, customized filter ( toxin absorber), activated carbon filter
- Range: 700 sq. ft
- Dimensions: 20.25 x 7 21.4 in
- Warranty: 5 years
- Cost of Filters: $85 filter pack
- Filter Life: Pre-filter – washable / rest – 12 months with 24hr/day operation
- Auto mode and 5-speed settings
- Lights sensor and sleep mode
- Filter indicator and mood lights
This model uses a 6 stage filtration system that includes a HEPA and thick activated carbon filter to help eliminate bad smells, smoke, and VOCs at a rate of up to 93.5%.
This is a great feature for not just smoke but all kinds of household odors coming from pets, cooking or if you live in a highly polluted area.
A unique feature is that the unit can be mounted on to a wall. This great if you have small kids in the house who like to like to play with buttons or if you just want it to blend in better with your interior design.
You also get the option of having a customized front panel, so you can really make it your own. Designs range from simple one toned panels to artistic designs which could make your purifier on the wall dub as artwork.
This stylish device is also super quiet in operation and is said to be virtually silent on its lowest setting.
It’s auto and sleep mode also mean that it will adjust its fan to the environment and change to its lowest setting when you are ready for bed, to give you a quiet and peaceful nights sleep.
- Standalone thick activated carbon filter to absorb odors and smoke
- 6 stage filtration system
- Wall mountable
- Customizable filters and design
- Unlimited 5-year warranty and free returns policy
- Energy Star certified and AFAA certified
- Unlimited 5-year warranty that covers all defects in workmanship and material
- Expensive unit
- Carbon filter is not washable
- Night mode can’t be turned off on auto mode
Honeywell 50250-S True HEPA Air Purifier
- Filters: Carbon pre-filter, True HEPA filter
- Range: 390 sq. ft
- Dimensions: 18 x 18 x 19.6 in
- Warranty: 5 years
- Cost of Filters: Pre-filter – $19.18 / HEPA filter – $49.99
- Filter Life: pre-filter – 3 months / HEPA filter – 3 to 5 years
- Patented 360° air intake
- Long life HEPA filter
- Filter replacement indicator
This is great as smoke spreads and sticks to surfaces quickly so a device that can attack from all angles is needed.
This feature also makes the unit great for larger rooms. It is capable of purifying the air in spaces up to 390 sq. ft.
This powerhouse uses a carbon pre-filter and a true HEPA filter to clean the air from odors and particles as small as 0.3 microns, which means it can easily and readily absorb smoke and its accompanying odors.
Because this product is so powerful and efficient it is unfortunately also quite large and loud whilst in operation.
This means it would not be suitable to use at night if you are a light sleeper or during the daytime if you are trying to watch TV or do some work.
This unit also has a high energy consumption and is not Energy Star certified, so be aware that even though the unit is not the most expensive one your lifetime cost can really add up if it ends up spiking up your electricity bills.
- Very powerful device and CADR rating of 250
- Durable air purifier and long lasting filters
- Round shape allows air filtration from all directions
- Long warranty period
- High power consumption and not Energy Star certified
- Loud operation
- Large in size and not very stylish
When you are shopping around for an air purifier to help you tackle smoke in your home and the offensive smell produced by cigarettes, weed or cigars, it is important to know what to look out for.
Types of Filters
The filters in an air purifier are the most important thing to consider when choosing the right product for you.
Specific filters have different functions and some filtration systems do a better job at catching smoke and odors than others do.
Activated Carbon Filter: filters water and air with carbon and has been processed to be porous and have a larger surface area so they can trap molecules in a process called adsorption.
They are one of the most important filters to have based on your specific needs.
- Capture, chemicals VOCs, smoke, and odors, which are all byproduct of smoking.
- Look for thick filters with activated carbon instead of regular carbon for better absorption.
HEPA filters should be found in every air purifier that’s worth buying. HEPA is a type of air filter that removes 99.97% of airborne particles bigger than or equal to 0.3 microns.
- Captures smoke particles larger than 0.3 microns other small air pollutants such as pollen, mold spores, and pet dander.
- HEPA filters do not absorb odor. An air purifier with just a HEPA filter is not ideal for smokers
Other filtration systems that are worth looking out for but are not vital for a smoker household include pre-filters which catch larger particles from the air and extend the life of the main filters, ionizers which remove dust and allergens, VOCs and odors, and UV light sanitation technology which kills bacteria and viruses.
Other things to look out for
Coverage: Think about how big the room is and if the air purifier will be able to sufficiently clean the air in that space.
You can gauge whether the coverage of an air purifier will match your needs by looking at the manufacturers recommended area range and the products CADR rating.
Filter replacement: Take into account how often the filters in an air purifier need to be replaced and how much the replacement of them will cost to figure out long-term costs.
Also, realize that when you smoke in your home your filters may need to be changed more frequently than is recommended by manufacturers.
Warranty: Sometimes faults in electronic devices don’t become apparent until some time after purchase, having a long warranty period on the product is an important factor.
You should also look out for what components are covered by the warranty.
Noise: The final thing you may want to consider is the noise of an air purifier. Some are louder than others and make harsher sounds while others produce mild white noise sounds.
If you plan to leave your air purifier in the living room where you watch TV or in your bedroom where you sleep look out for a unit that produces noise below 30 dB, which is whisper quiet.
Do air purifiers work for cigarette smoke removal?
Yes, an air purifier with a HEPA filter removes 99.97% of airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns including smoke particles which can be as large as 1 micron.
Activated carbon filters also remove smoke particles, VOCs, and odors from the air which makes up the rest of cigarette smoke.
What is the best air purifier for cigarette smoke removal?
There are many brands that make air purifiers to specifically tackle smoke in the home. The best air purifier to remove cigarette smoke should always include a genuine HEPA filter as well as an activated carbon filter.
Do air purifiers work for weed smoke removal?
Yes, air purifiers can effectively remove smoke and odors produced from smoking weed. Just like air purifiers for regular smoke removal HEPA filters and activated carbon filters will adequately remove this air pollutant.
As the smell produced from weed smoke is, however, a lot more powerful it might be a good idea to get an air purifier with an especially thick carbon filter as well as an extra filtration step to tackle household odors i.e. negative ion filtration.
Where should I place my air purifier to remove smoke?
You should place your air purifier wherever you intend to smoke. Having the air purifier in close proximity to where smoking is taking place in your home means it will be able to detect and remove smoke and odors faster and leaves less of a chance for smoke to spread.
Are air purifiers safe to use?
Air purifiers that release levels of ozone which does not exceed public health standards are safe to use. All of the products mentioned in this review either produce no ozone or at levels well below this standard.
Ozone is both a natural and man-made gas can have negative health effects on our respiratory system and seems to be especially irritating for asthma sufferers.