It’s summer again and what better way to spend your time than pulling out the grill, inviting your friends over and whipping up some delicious burgers, steaks and what have you not.
As master griller, why not make your life easier by investing in the best infrared grill under $300/ $500, which will allow for a hotter and faster grilling experience, so you can spend more time catching up with loved ones and, of course, eating.
|Char-Broil Signature TRU-Infrared 325||$$|
|Char-Broil Performance Tru Infrared 3 Burner||$$$|
|Char-Broil Grill2Go X200 Gas Grill||$|
|Char-Broil TRU-Infrared Patio Bistro||$|
Whilst a traditional gas grill is great for temperature control it sadly falls short in hitting high temperature that really allows your meat to sear.
On the other hand, charcoal grills do reach those high temperatures, but you have no control and they flare up and cool down as they wish.
An infrared grills radiation technology eliminates this problem as it can soar up to the highest temperatures whilst also allowing you to have complete control.
This makes for a fantastic grill experience as grilling foods will be much quicker and efficient.
Radiation cooking seems to still be a controversial topic and many people are concerned about the danger of radiation, but they shouldn’t be.
Infrared grills use electromagnetic energy (EM) like microwaves do, however nowhere near the level that it would take to cause damage to your DNA like X rays can.
With that myth busted let’s move straight on to how to pick the right infrared grill to suit your needs, followed by a selection of infrared grills we love to give you a better idea.
What is an infrared grill?
Many of you might be thinking what in the world is an infrared grill and how is it different from a charcoal or gas grills.
Well, the best way to explain is that it is like a gas grill that uses infrared technology as the heat source or as an optional burner.
The gas used for this type of grill is purely for power sourcing which is then directed towards the grills infrared grates or panels which heat the food through direct contact.
We all strive for our grilled produce to turn out just as juicy and flavorsome as what we experience when eating out at steakhouses and this can be achieved with an infrared grill.
The infrared grills combine the temperature control of a gas grill with the high temperatures of a charcoal grill to provide both high and long-lasting heat for a divine cooking experience.
What are the benefits?
The benefit of infrared grills are as follows:
- Infrared grills reach extremely high temperatures of up to 700 degrees Fahrenheit making it great for searing meats and makes cooking a lot quicker.
- You also have greater control of the temperature, and it’s not left to chance as with a charcoal grill
- You can expect an even temperature throughout the grilling surface and the issue of hot and cold spots are eliminated.
- While convective heat (hot air) from gas and charcoal grills destroy foods moisture barrier, the direct heat from radiant heat penetrates without drying so it retains its juices and flavors.
- Infrared grills also reduce the chances of flare-ups which can leave your food burnt and dried up.
- Infrared grills use less gas and tend to be more economical than traditional grills.
Like with anything there are a few negatives to owning an infrared grill which you should be aware of before handing out a large sum of money for a product.
- Infrared grills take some getting used to and you can expect to not get it right the first few times of use.
- Just like with any other grill, infrared grills require regular cleaning and maintenance to prolong life.
- Infrared grills are typically a lot more expensive than other grills.
- It’s easy to quickly burn your food due to the high temperatures if you don’t keep an eye on it.
Best Infrared Grills under $500
Char-Broil Signature Tru Infrared
- Dimensions: 23.5 x 51.1 x 47.2 in
- Warranty: 10 yrs. for burner, 3 yrs. for firebox, lid, cooking grate, emitters, 1 yr. for other parts
- Cooking system: Gas Tru Infrared
- Assembly required: Yes
- Storage cabinet
- 3 8500 BTU stainless steel burners
- Porcelain-coated cast iron grates
- Surefire electronic ignition
- Dual fuel and temperature gauge
- Lidded side burner
This mid-sized grill is backed by a lot of horsepower as it has 3 stainless steel main burners that blast out an astonishing 25,500 BTUs, and all whilst using much less gas than a traditional gas grill.
It does this by converting the energy produced by its gas burners into searing hot radiated heat with its state-of-the-art infrared emitters. It also maintains an even temperature throughout the entire cooking area.
This is a fantastic feature if you’ve had a problem with undercooked or burnt meat with previous grills due to hot or cold spots and can also save you a lot of time spent having to monitor, move around and keep an eye on your feast. Grilling with this product is clearly very easy and low maintenance.
Another major positive about the Char-Broil Signature Tru Infrared 3 burner gas grill is that there is no direct contact between the food your cooking and the open flame from the burners, and therefore flare-ups that can potentially soil your food are prevented.
This infrared grill comes with a Surefire electronic ignition system allowing the unit to spark to life with the simple push of a button. This is fantastic as you spend less time having to spark up and you also avoid the risk of getting burnt.
The only downside to this grill that boasts a 575 sq. in work space, is its assembly. The assembly of this unit can be long and tedious and the provided assembly instructions are not as detailed and clear as they could be.
- Push button electronic ignition system
- Durable rust-resistant grates
- Large cooking and warming space
- Affordable price for a premium product
- Long assembly time
- Assembly instructions not clear enough
- Infrared grates require more maintenance and are difficult to clean
Char-Broil Performance Tru Infrared 3 Burner Gas Grill
- Dimensions: 23.4 x 54.1 x 45.5 in
- Warranty: 5yrs for burners, 2 yrs. for firebox and lid, 1yr for all other parts
- Cooking system: Tru Infrared
- Assembly required: Yes
- Enclosed storage cabinet
- Surefire electronic ignition system
- Wheelies for easy use
- Porcelain coated grate for longevity
Even though this infrared grill price tag is more down to earth than rival brands, it by no means is any less powerful or functional.
Once again Char-Broils infrared technology eliminates the possibility of flare-ups and therefore protects the food you cook from burning and in turn helps it retain its juices and flavors much better than conventional grill would.
And again, you won’t have to deal with pesky hot and cold spots on the grill leave your meat undercooked in some places and burnt to coal in others
This premium infrared grill is set up with a roomy 450 sq. inch cooking surface as well as a 150 sq., inch warming rack, which is great if you are cooking for a big family event as you have lots of space to work with.
In addition to loss of cooking space the Char-Broil Performance Tru Infrared 3 burner grill also comes with a handy storage cabinet where the tank is placed out of site and you can keep things such as your grilling tools and wood chips.
To get even more bang for your buck Char-Broil have included 10,000 BTU side burners on the side of this grill so that you can to cook sides and sauces whilst your meat is cooking.
We really love this feature as you can cook everything in one place and you don’t need to divide your time between the grill and the kitchen.
- Cooks food fast without drying up
- Very affordable for an infrared grill
- Easy to use
- Large cooking surface
- Bad assembly instructions
- Grate clogs up quickly
Best Infrared Grills under $300
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200 Gas Grill
- Dimensions: 23.7 x 15 x 13.6 in
- Warranty: 5yrs for burner, firebox and lid, 1yr for all other parts
- Cooking system: Tru Infrared
- Assembly required: No
- Legs and heat resistant carry handle
- Compact frame
- Latching Lid
- Inbuilt temperature gauge
- Push ignition button
This portable infrared grill is great for camping, road trips and other outdoor adventures due to its high impact and robust construction yet super lightweight, weighing in at only 20 pounds.
This traveling grill incorporates features such as a sturdy latching lid, cool touch heat resistant handles and standing legs, as well as Char-Broils highly loved Tru Infrared technology to allow for speedy grilling and even faster clean up so you can get straight back on the road.
With this product, you will not experience any flare-ups or cold and hot spots whilst grilling and it comes with an easy push-button ignition which all allow for the smoothest grilling.
Yes, this grill is compact and easy to transport but you are still equipped with a decent amount of cooking surface of 200 sq. as well as durable and rust resistant grates that have a porcelain finish in order to prolong the life of the grill.
This very affordable infrared grill does unfortunately has one downside and that is that many bought units have had issues with the temperature regulator and the unit gets too hot too fast.
A helpful troubleshoot to tackle this is to keep the temperature on low instead of high at the beginning and slowly increase temperature as needed.
- Works fast and doesn’t use up much gas
- Works great for grilling veg
- Lightweight and easily portable
- gets too hot too fast
- Needs to be cleaned after each use to prevent clogging and flaking of the grate
Char-Broil Tru Infrared Patio Bistro Gas Grill
- Dimensions: 24.4 x 25.2 x 38.2 in
- Warranty: 5 yrs. for Burner, firebox, and lid, 1 yr. for all other parts
- Cooking system: Tru Infrared
- Assembly required: Yes
- Towel bar
- Stainless steel grate
- Temperature gauge
- Scraping tool for cleaning provided
This sleek Char-Broil grill has a total cooking surface of 320 sq. inches which is perfect for just you and your close friends or family.
Don’t let this grill’s smaller size fool you however as this small grill still incorporates the high-performance Tru infrared technology, so you can be sure you’ll be getting faster cooking with fewer flare-ups and in turn more flavor and juice.
This model does not have any extra storage space it has a towel bar where you can you can easily place a towel or hang for grilling tools for easy access.
Additionally, the Char-Broil Tru Infrared Patio Bistro Gas Grill also comes with a push-button ignition and temperature control and its hood is also mounted with an inbuilt temperature gauge so that you have better temperature precision for if you wish to cook a certain meat such as chicken at a specific temperature.
- Produces hot and even temperatures for grilling
- Easy to use and great for taste
- Great for smaller spaces
- Simple assembly
- Very affordable
- Paint does not last long due to heat
- Food easily sticks to the stainless-steel grate
- Problematic ignitor