“This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.”
Ever looked at your home and wish it looked a little more up-to-date? Ever had to use a lap blanket in your home on a cold day because your windows let in drafts?
Ever experience condensation inside your windows making them foggy and difficult to see out of? Well, wonder no more and consider updating your home windows this year.
How you know it’s time for new windows:
Perhaps you are looking to sell your home, want to save money on your energy bill or are simply tired of dealing with windows that stick, leak or are drafty.
When those thoughts cross your mind, its best to evaluate if installing new windows is the ideal solution for you and your home.
A few important factors to consider to help you decide if it is time to replace your home’s windows include:
- The current efficiency of your existing windows.
- The appearance of your current windows, both from the outside and the inside points of view.
- The physical shape of your windows, in the case of them appearing bowed or saggy.
- Leaks from the window during extreme – or not so extreme – weather situations.
- Whether there is ongoing condensation inside of your windows.
If you decide the time has come to update the windows in your home based on the evaluation points above, there may be a few other considerations to keep in mind before you move forward:
- Do you have a home owners association? If so, they may have specific guidelines you need to follow regarding the style of window you install.
- Is your home a historic building? If so, you may need to check with the local historical association to see if you are prohibited from installing new windows.
- And of course, don’t forget your partner, if you have one. They may feel strongly about the window replacement process, so best to get their input now, before things have gone too far!
What to do once you decide to replace your windows:
Once you decide to replace your windows, you need to determine which window company you want to hire. This step is more critical than the window selection itself.
The right window company will recommend the best windows for your home and personal priorities. The steps to evaluate the best window company for you will include the following:
- Ask for references from friends and contacts. Chances are if they were happy with their choice of contractor, you will be as well. Ask to see the work done on their windows and inquire about the following things:
- Did they get multiple quotes from different contractors?
- Was the contractor they selected reliable?
- Are they happy with the way the windows perform?
- Did the contractor stay on task, on time and on budget?
- Once you have compiled a list of references, review the websites of your top choice companies for further information and recommendations, and then request a quote.
- Ask for more references. That’s right – ask the contractor for references so that you can ensure you are making the right choice for yourself You may not need to call those references, but they should be willing to share that information.
- Ask for proof of insurance and/or bonding; you should also verify that the contractor has the right licenses to operate in your area.
Once you choose your window company:
Now that the hard part is done, you are in the home stretch. The next phase of planning includes:
- Working with the window company regarding any questions or concerns you may have.
- Determining with the window company which windows you will be installing.
- Asking about their manufacturer training. Many window manufacturers offer certifications or training for their distributors.
- Planning your window replacement timeframe with the weather in mind. Choose a week when mild weather is predicted, because at some point your home will be open to the elements.